Production Project – Session 3

SUMMARY

Role

Sound Designer

Intention (SMART Goal)

By January 28, as part of my film team, I will explore the sound pathway by following the Horror Sound Design tutorial and will have created scenes that add a horror atmosphere to the film of our January project

PRE-PRODUCTION – INQUIRY

Leader(s) in the Field / Exemplary Work(s)

Primary Source: Eraserhead

• Sound Designer: Alan Splet
  • Unconventional sounds
  • Low bass
  • Strange occurrences/strange sound

Training Source(s)

Project Timeline

PRODUCTION – ACTION

The (FILM, SOUND, or GAME Creation)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12pi5HPwV3JxVJeS1H4gneNxZDGtqB9gO/view

Skills Commentary

0:18 Worked with the editor on increasing muisc

0:26 Gunshot sound effect was made by hitting hollow objects

0:27 Fall sound effect was made by having someone drop pieces of wood

POST-PRODUCTION – REFLECTION

21st Century Skills

Ways of Thinking (Creativity, Innovation, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving)

While being the sound designer, there were many problem solving, critical thinking, etc. One major decision, as a sound designer, that I had to make was choosing between audio from the mic from the camera, or audio from the boom mic. Eventually, I decided to just use ADR instead because it sounded the most coherent.

Ways of Working (Communication & Collaboration)

I communicated and collaborated with every member on my team. I made sure to do this because it’s always important to make sure everyone understands what’s going on. Whether it was asking about where the boom mic should (so it wouldn’t interfere with the shot of the camera), or asking the actors to clearly say their lines, there was a lot of teamwork on my part.

Tools for Working (Info & Media Literacy)

For this project, I used the class resources for information about sound and also youtube, articles, etc.

Ways of Living in the World (Life & Career)

Outside of this production I spent most of my time doing school work, both at Capital and SPSCC. I was also a part of the most recent theater production where I worked with the light crew. For free time, I would generally just hang out with friends, play guitar, watch movies/tv, etc.

Reactions to the Final Version

After our presentation, I was told by Daniel that the audio in the beginning of the film was a little muffled and could’ve been clearer.

Self-Evaluation of Final Version

Simple – The premise of our story and the script are easy and concise.

Unexpected – Near the end of the story, and the middle, Ethan’s character surprisingly kills two characters.

Concrete – A solid element of our film is the music, it’s appropriately used through out the film, and has many interesting adjustments.

Emotional – Our film exhibits and projects a mood/emotion that is more correlated with horror and especially comedy.

What I Learned and Problems I Solved

For this production cycle, I’ve learned that, although there are many sources to use for audio, you have to be very specific and careful in which one choose; it may be too loud, too quiet, unclear, etc. Even if you have many resources, not all will work well while filming.

Grammar and Spelling

Grammarly

Editor

Deandre